Winter Overnight Temps?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by HowdyPete, Sep 20, 2007.

1. HowdyPete

HowdyPete New Egg

Jul 20, 2007
    What is the minimum temperature that should be maintained inside the coop overnight? I live in the Los Angeles area so I know it won't get as cold as the Yukon. I can make many changes to the coop to warm it up, but I am wondering what the target temp or the minimum temp should be for the chickens. This will be there first winter. Thanks!

2. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    I would say keep it slightly above freezing. I've had my water freeze and the chickens were fine, though I had a wonderful time unfreezing their waterers. [​IMG] I don't think you'll have to worry about the temps in Cali...does it get below freezing where you are?? [​IMG]

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

My chickens sleep outside year long. A few go in when it is in the teens. So if you keep the coop at freezing temps, they should be fine. They just eat more.

4. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    LA? Dont worry about it, if youre concerned with their well being. Above freezing is fine and I usually shoot for 40 degrees.
    If you want optimum eggs in the winter, then anything above 60 is best. A cold bird doesnt lay well.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2007
  5. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    I feed mine lots of cracked corn in the winter. It really helps keep them toasty.

6. HallChicks

HallChicks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2007
    Cracked corn? Does it pack on fat? How does it keep them toasty?

7. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Corn is carbonaceaous, meaning it provides what we would call "carb energy."
    Yes, it does add fat if overfed, but a little extra wont be a bother. What you DO NOT want to do is take this as The Rule and feed only corn. Give them a prepared commercial feed as their main diet and only supplement it with select green feed and a little extra corn - if you live in cold country.

Again, m in LA, dont worry about it.

8. KKluckers

KKluckers Time Out

Sep 4, 2007
    I have a heater in with my girls. I try to keep it about 55-60. You just have to be careful not to start a fire. [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2007
  9. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I live in eastern PA and it gets pretty cold here in the winter. We do not supplement heat for our chickens. They acclimate to the temperature changes just fine, as healthy mature birds should. We shovel paths through 2 feet of snow just about every year and they come out to range in it. I do not know the temp inside our coops, but I do know that without water heaters, the water freezes solid, so it is definitely below freezing. We close everyone up tight at night (no drafts) and give scratch before bed to help with body warmth. They snuggle up tight with each other and do well. If you want to maintain a hardy flock, in my opinion this is the best approach. Although some will argue the need for heat, it really is not necessary (except for youngsters who have not had time to acclimate to temp changes).

Jody

10. redchicken

redchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2007
    Eastern Pa
    we live in eastern Pa too it does get very cold

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by