Winter Precautions

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by redsoxrule, Sep 5, 2007.

1. redsoxrule

redsoxrule Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2007
    Rockport,MA
    Is there any special needs for my chickens this winter?
    An info. on the subject would be great:)

2. DrakeMaiden

DrakeMaiden Overrun with Drakes

Jun 8, 2007
    Kitsap County, WA
    What sort of climate do you live in? How cold does it get in the winter? How short do the days get? I'm not an expert, but if you answer those questions it will help someone else answer your question better. [​IMG]

3. Newchickenmom&kids

Newchickenmom&kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Illinois
    I think this depends on the breed of chickens you have and your coop/run set up. If you could give more information it may help those with experience to assist you in answering your questions.

Thanks drakemaiden....forgot about the climate part too!! Duh!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 5, 2007
  4. redsoxrule

May 31, 2007
    Rockport,MA
    I live in MA. It gets pretty cold here some times. Most winters it snows quite a bit and we have some Nor' Easters. My coop is small, i only have four birds (Rhode Island Reds) Also the days get to only about 10- 11 hours in the winter.

Hope this info help you :)answer my questions

THANKS!!!!
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 9, 2007
  5. Standard Hen

Standard Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    Oh yes,,,the Redsoxrule for sure!! All you really need to do for winter is make sure your coop is dry and draft free. I put extra shavings and hay for them to cuddle in if they need to. I have all winter hardy standard breeds and Rhode Island Reds are just that. I also add cracked corn to their diet in the winter for added warmth. I also feed scratch for their "treats" and that has cracked corn in it. You might also want to purchase a heated dog water bowl to keep their water unfrozen. It was the best thing I did last winter and they always had water available. Ohhh, and welcome to the board.[​IMG]

6. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Thanks Standard Hen......I been meaning to ask what other people did about keeping the water from freezing up here. I see the heaters are $60 and i wondered if everyone really used them. I am assuming that the heated dog bowl might be less money? Are there any other options? Also i wonder if the chick water heaters really work good? I would like to get that purchase right the first time.

7. Standard Hen

May 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    Hey lurky, the heated dog bowls were not expensive and they worked great. I can't remember what I paid but I am sure it was under $20. In the past I was out there banging ice and all worried while I was at work and I knew they were not getting enough water depending on how cold it was and how fast it froze up..I know Wal-Mart and most feed stores carry them. They are nice and easy to clean too. I never used the heaters, I tried the bowls and stopped there!

8. redsoxrule

May 31, 2007
    Rockport,MA
    The heated dog bowls/water buckets work great. I have some for my horses. It should be interesing to see how one works with my chickens

9. Standard Hen

May 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    My horses will not drink out of them. Bought a huge one for the paddocks last year thinking oh finally I will never have to crack another frozen bucket. Wrong! I think it is because they feel the electric pulse in it and of course that means electric fence! I ended up putting the old one out there and breaking ice as usual because every morning it was attacked and tipped over. One horse in particular did all the attcking and he is not even mine. Go figure. Last winter was really so mild so it was not that bad. Let's see what happens this season.

10. redsoxrule

May 31, 2007
    Rockport,MA
    I Don't think that the water buckets I have have a pulse. If i'm correct the water gets heated at the bottom, so there is only a steady current there, that the horses can't feel. I might try again if i were you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by