Winter prep

goldstar

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 23, 2013
Hello, just getting ready for a western ny winter. My question is it ok to put fresh straw in the outdoor run over the sand I have in the run?

I read that mites live in straw, so....I removed all my hay....I am rethinking my material

Hay and straw are 2 different products, they are not the same. Hay is immature cut and dried grass of different variety depending on the region you live in.

Straw is the mature stems of grain products after the grain is harvested - usually wheat, but you can find oat and barley and sometimes other grains. Straw is very very dry and "hollow" stemmed, which I assume is where the mites hang out. Hay generally will not have large, if any, hollow stems.

Hello, just getting ready for a western ny winter. My question is it ok to put fresh straw in the outdoor run over the sand I have in the run?
There's really no point in doing it.
It won't improve the conditions, it will cost money and energy, and if it's too thick and wet, it will mat down and become a nasty, smelly mess

I have sand in my outdoor, uncovered run, and I wouldn't do it. It's really easy to scoop up the frozen poop off the sand (if you even need to). Not so much with straw. You're just going to have a hard, wet poopy mess over the winter. I love, love love my naked sand!

Hey thanks for the tip on the straw in the outdoor run for the winter. I also have sand in the run and will not be putting straw down thanks again!

I have heard that having straw in your coop/run is a bad idea because it can become moldy and what not which can be bad for your birds. I have not had any experiences with it though.

Straw bales can be advantageous once the snow gets deep. Using two more square bales, create a structure where one allows birds to stand free and clear of ground and second to north to block wind from north. Done properly you may also be able create some small sun collecting microhabitats the chickens will gravitate to on cold days with a little sun peeping through. In spring but bales up for use in the garden.

Back
Top Bottom