Winter preperations...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Notus, Dec 5, 2014.

1. Notus

Notus Out Of The Brooder

Dec 4, 2014
    Here in Scotland I strip and rebuild the coup in the green house over the winter months. An excellent opportunity to sterilize fully. Having removed a bottom corner pane of glass I replaced with a slide up door which I only open when frost & snow is lifted. They benefit from no chance of a draft, increased temperatures in sunlight and the soil dries out, which also stores heat which is released at night and they pick the green house clean of potential weeds, pests and fertilize the soil for the growing season. I scrape and then simply dig the green house floor over every couple of weeks whilst they are in residence.
    Kick them out mid to late March, burn sulphur in the greenhouse to sterilize it and clean/ sterilize the coup again. Not as much work as it sounds and well worth it.
    So maybe if you have a greenhouse doing nothing over the winter months.... Might be worth a thought?

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I've always wanted a green house....Great idea! How cold does it get over there in Scotland? Do you get lots of snow? We're having a very mild winter right now here in Ohio.

1 person likes this.
  3. Notus

Notus Out Of The Brooder

Dec 4, 2014

Last edited: Dec 5, 2014
  4. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    I would love to see some pictures!

5. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    My son is in Texas right now. He's in the Army at Ft. Hood. Last time I spoke to him, he said it was cooler, and the nights got pretty cold. He was actually out in the field for about a week a while ago. He really enjoyed camping outside.

We keep hearing about global warming. Been hearing that for years. We do get bitter cold sometimes with wind chills below zero degrees farenhite. I think it's been -20 before. I'm no meotorologist though. LOL I don't even know if I spelled that right. ;)

As we speak, it's 42 degrees. The grass is even green. Seems almost spring-like.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by