Winter Prolaps

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lanemi, Jan 31, 2014.

1. lanemi

lanemi New Egg

Jan 31, 2014
    Good afternoon,
    I have a Red Sex Link chicken with a prolapse. I had another Red Six Link prolapse in the fall and after keeping her seperated for over six weeks, and MANY attempts to place it back, the prolapse cured itself. Unfortunately, I have another chicken that has prolapsed, however, this time the temperatures during the day were below zero and I am afraid the oviduct has frostbite. Is that possible? The tissue does not look nice and pink as the other did, it is black and hard. She is seperated and living in the basement, as the temperatures are still so cold. She is happy, eating and drinking, but I don't know what to do if the tissue has frostbite? I would like to think a few weeks time might be all she needs??

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

2. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Alright [​IMG] great to have you joining us [​IMG]

Post us some photo's so we can really see [​IMG]

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

Is the uterus back inside the hen? You can use Prep H to reduce the swelling and help keep everything back in the hen. If she indeed does have frost bite on this tissue, it will heal. Keep her inside until she fully recovers. And keep her in dim light for a week or so, only 8 hours of low light, so she will be less inclined to lay eggs. You want the prolapse to heal.

Make SURE they are getting enough calcium. Keep the oystershell near the feed at all times so the birds will eat more of it. They won't go searching for the oystershell, so keep it close. Don't over do the treats this time of year. There is limited time to eat with less hours in the day and the birds need to eat as much layer feed as possible to help prevent prolapse. If you are using lighting in the coop to force laying, turn it off.

Good luck with your babies, I hope they all heal up soon. :)

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    You may also want to post in detail on "emergencies, diseases, injuries, cures," thread Hope things will turn out for her.

5. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC!

6. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us! The black parts on your hen's prolapse could be because of frostbite, or infection. Unfortunately, neither of those are good for her, and even if she lives, she may never lay again. I would post this in the emergencies section of the BYC forum; maybe someone there can offer some helpful advice.

7. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Hope your hen recovers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by