Winter Quail

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Kwartel, Jan 5, 2011.

1. Kwartel

Kwartel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Oklahoma
    Here in OK we've dipped down into the teens a few of times at night and daytime temps have been between 20-50 degrees, but it's been pretty dry. All my quail are doing well in their outside runs. They all have access to the inside of the coop with a heat lamp inside. Some run in and out, but most of them prefer to sleep outside at night in little groups. They are all alert and active and showing no sign that the cold even bothers them. Just thought I would throw this out there for anyone wondering how hardy coturnix are with winter weather. The only thing I'm still worried about is the possibility of snow, but if that happens I think I can just put them in the coop and shut the doors until I can scoop it all out and put down straw. I know bobwhites can handle snow with no problem, so I would think that adult coturnix wouldn't have much of a problem either. Anybody have experience with coturnix in snow?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Pretty birds there!

3. Kwartel

Jul 7, 2010
    Oklahoma
    Thanks. Some of them are from your eggs, all grown up. [​IMG]

4. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Awwww how cute! [​IMG]

5. wpalmisano

wpalmisano Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2010
    Connecticut
    I am very careful with my Coturnix Quail and cold weather. The bobs will form a covey, and will look for a windblock in bad weather. The Coturnix don't seem as well adapted. I always lose a few, even with a barn and heat lamps, which they can enter and leave at will. Sometimes, like with the bliazzard we had here last week, with 50 mph wind and over a foot of snow, I lock the Coturnix down for their own good.

6. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    My quail's pen is covered, they have a hutch inside, and there are wind blocks on the outside of the pen. sometimes they go in to the hutch, but other times they find a corner in the pen and bunch up. If it gets below 20º I make sure I have 1 75w bulb on. It doesn't throw off a ton of heat, but it can keep the water from freezing. We have had a few nights where is only got 2º. The quail were fine and I made sure they had plenty of fresh straw, a way to get out of the wind and plenty of food.

7. Kwartel

Jul 7, 2010
    Oklahoma
    Looks like we might be getting snow here this weekend. Guess they'll get to spend a couple days inside until it stops and I clear the runs out. I may use that as an opportunity to sort out some colors before I let them back outside. Hmm...

8. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    I LOVE THE WINTERTIME! THAT MEANS FOR AT LEAST 2 1/2 MOS I DONT HAVE TO CATCH EACH AND EVERYONE AND RUB THEM DOWN WITH SUNSCREEN [​IMG]

9. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    I Should Add That I Do Make Them Put Their Bathing Suits Up And Wear At Least Shorts And T Shirt....

10. Kwartel

Jul 7, 2010
    Oklahoma
    What I hated most about summer was grinding all that ice and making the little umbrellas for all those tiny margaritas... And never a thank you, just "put it down and leave".

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by