Winter roosting

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tuesday, Nov 19, 2011.

1. tuesday

tuesday New Egg

Nov 19, 2011
    I't got very cold here in the west and my chickens of 6 mos old won't roost in their coop cubicles stuffed with straw. They prefer sitting on their tin feed cans that are the size of a garbage can. And they haven't laid yet either. I figure that is because it got really cold fast?

2. indi

indi Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2011
    hey tuesday, I know what you mean. My chickies are approaching 6 months and it is getting colder. they haven't started laying but my cockerel shows some interest in my hen (if you know what I mean!!!). One thing that does help them go in their coop is if you check on them at about 7:30 with a few treats and sit there for about 5 mins. Hopefully they will feel reassured! Good Luck!![​IMG]

If that doesn't work try putting a wooden pole ( 1 inch thick with rounded edges - so no hurt feet!) in the coop for them to sit/sleep on.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2011
  3. wyododge

wyododge Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2011
    Wyoming
    The cubicles might be too warm for them (they can't take their coats off). Try taking most of the straw out. Or placing them on their roost after dark.

Also keep in mind that they are prey animals, they want to lay in a cave to protect their young, they do not want to sleep in one because they can't see what is going on around them. Think roosting in trees and nesting on the ground (wild, instinctual behavior). Why do they do that? In a tree at night, they can see and hear predators. Can't really lay an egg in a tree, and they are not built to make a nest in a tree (they don't fly they fall with style). So they have to nest on the ground, they like a hidden place they can tuck into, which is why they like nest boxes for laying.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by