Winter shelter box - what height?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by dheltzel, Nov 14, 2016.

1. dheltzel

dheltzel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Nov 30, 2013
    Pottstown, PA
    I am making a shelter for my Welsh Harlequin flock. I have a heavy plastic shelter in there now, but it is too small for them to all fit comfortably (4 ducks and 3 drakes), so I am building a better shelter. What is the ideal (inside) height? Top and bottom will be thick wood, to provide a little insulating value (vs metal or concrete).

2. DuckMD

DuckMD Just Hatched

Aug 27, 2016
    I'm new to this, but have a small coop 4x6 for eight WH ducks. I keep plenty of dry straw and or pine chips in there for the birds to nestle in.
    The coop is 4 feet high with 2" screened openings at the tops of the walls. Walls are T1-11, about 1/2" thick plywood. The ducks seem content and will nestle with each other at times for no apparent reason. We've not had sustained temps. below freezing yet but everything I've read says they are cold hardy with a shelter and windbreak.
    Hope this helps

3. pattyhen

pattyhen Chicks Ducks oh my

Apr 20, 2007
    My duck coop is about 4 foot tall too. That makes it so hard to clean and collect eggs. You have to crunch down to get inside to do anything. I would build it at least 6 foot tall to give you room to stand up in it.

4. DuckMD

DuckMD Just Hatched

Aug 27, 2016
    Good point, Pattyhen.
    I can open the coop from the top, but it would be so much easier if I could walk inside.

5. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    I think it's more about asking yourself how low do you want to go?? I mean i have buildings/shelters of all heights here. Clearly the winner for myself is the actual normal height buildings... easier for me to access/clean.

The birds? doghouses suffice for height. Heck, i have had ducks make nests and raise clutches under tractor equipment that is merely tarped so clearly not very tall, birds are not in the same heights needs are us lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by