Winter snack ideas for Sebbies? And how to safely keep them warm...

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Picklepuss, Dec 11, 2016.

1. Picklepuss

Picklepuss Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2010
    Connecticut
    This is the first winter of having my Sebastopols and I'm not sure what I should be giving them for "snacks" or extras once the green grass is gone. I'm in CT and we are expecting snow tomorrow so no more grass to chomp.

Also, I'm looking for a safe way to heat their house. I have only a pair in a 4 x 5 foot house, 5 feet tall at the peak. There are going to be times when the weather is going to be well below freezing and I'm afraid they won't have enough body heat to keep warm.

And yes - I'm a baby when it comes to my babies!

2. abbyf

abbyf Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2015
    I am going to try the horse hay cubes soaked, but we give lettuce, cabbage (stinky poop though) and they go crazy for cucumber and peas. They also get their normal food.
    First time goose mum so learning as we go.
    poor little sebbies certainly feel the cold more than the Africans.

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Draft free house with good ventilation will help I don't use heat with any of my water fowl or chickens but their houses are draft free.

For snacks my geese and ducks and chickens get whole/cracked corn dried meal worms[only my female goose will eat them.] and BOSS. and when temps get above freezing they get fresh Romaine lettuce.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by