1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Winter Solstice and Laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ninabeast, Dec 11, 2011.

1. ninabeast

ninabeast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Upstate New York
    I'm in my first year of keeping laying hens, and nine of my ten pullets are laying pretty well, as I've read is to be expected in their first winter. I know the frequency of their laying is related to light (I have chosen not to supplement), but is it also related to temperature?

In other words, I understand that I am experiencing a slowdown due to shorter days with less powerful sunlight (from 8 eggs/day to 6 eggs/day), but once winter solstice passes and the days begin to get longer, will I see an increase in egg production even as the weather remains cold (and gets colder!). Or will I need to wait for spring for improvement?

It's not a huge deal; I'm happy with the eggs I'm getting. Just curious.

For the record... I have 3 LBs, 3 BRs, 2 BOs, and 2 PRs (one of which has gone on strike), all about 9 months old.

The benefit of you experience would be appreciated...

2. madamwlf

madamwlf Nevermore Acres

Aug 22, 2010
    Mount Airy, MD
    I think it really depends on the breed. The heavier breeds are more cold hardy and probably don't mind the cold at all. Where as the lighter breeds might not like the cold too much and lay a little less.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by