1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Winter Solstice Basement Broody Blues!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bantyshanty, Dec 20, 2010.

1. bantyshanty

bantyshanty Oval Office Courier

Oct 6, 2009
    S.W Pennsylvania
    I've been supplementing my lighting to 14 hours/day, and the girls have been laying quite well. They're 5-12 months old.

Problem is, every day now, another one goes broody. I have to isolate them in the elevated wire cage-on-a-cage in the basement, because it's too cold outside for just a couple to be separated.

First the Ameraucana, then the fist-mate silkie, then the queen silkie, now the D'Anver, all 4 broody, tho' the Ameraucana's coming out of it on Day 5.

Does anyone else have winter broody blues? Really shouldn't complain, I've just never had this before

2. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    I *don't* have supplemental light and I have a GLW broody... it's below freezing and snowing out.

Bird brains!

3. bantyshanty

bantyshanty Oval Office Courier

Oct 6, 2009
    S.W Pennsylvania
    Quote:Dat be jes' plain wrong! [​IMG] dumb clucks!

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I don't add lights, but no broodies here at the moment. My previous broody has weaned her babies. Most of my girls are molting.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by