1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Winter Solstice

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Schrebergaertner, Dec 22, 2013.

1. Schrebergaertner

Schrebergaertner Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2010
    OK, girls, the days are finally starting to get longer. No more excuses! Get with it, or I'll get the stew pot ready!

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

Yea for solstice!

I had a hen start laying the day before solstice--second shortest day of the year and she lays her first egg. What's up with that? Not complaining, you understand........

3. Whoops

Whoops Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2013
    Albuquerque, NM
    Nuthin' here. Freeloaders! I need to start rattling the stewpot.

1 person likes this.
  4. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    I have two hens in lay and one attempted to set a clutch in pasture. Several eggs cracked from freezing. The egg collection does not work for me when I leave for work before dawn on really cold days. A solar powered egg heater is needed to keep eggs good until I get back after dark.

5. operationindigo

operationindigo Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2013
    I know! It's killing me - I'm still waiting for my first egg from my 20 week old hens.

6. Whoops

Whoops Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2013
    Albuquerque, NM
    Tell me about it! 22 weeks old, first chickens I ever had, and nada, zip, complete juevolessness.

7. whittychick

whittychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2013
    Cape cod
    I woke up to 2 beautiful eggs this am! My girls haven't been laying since beginning of November!! I hope all of them will start laying again!!!

8. emmaie892000

emmaie892000 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2013
    Marion, NC
    That's what mine are doing! One out of four laying! Can't wait till longer days!

9. Theda's Mom

Theda's Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Moscow TN
    Winter is the pits! Two of my best layers went into molt in November, the babies are just getting of an age to think about laying, and after much reluctance, I had to give in and buy eggs from the store. Of course, sensitive to my hens' sensibilities, this meant that I had no choice but to buy the primo (and supposedly) organic/free-range eggs. Even then, what a poor second to the real McCoy. The yokes are so pale my omelet looked like it was made of paper and I didn't have to rap the egg against the granite counter top to make it break. Boo hiss. It's like drinking reconstituted powdered milk when accustomed to straight-from-the-cow milk.

10. Schrebergaertner

Schrebergaertner Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2010
    It's like they heard me! We'd been lucky to get 2-3 per day from 25 hens. The day after solstice, we got 6 and it's been 5-7 daily since then and we actually got 12 yesterday! Yay!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by