Winter sorting!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by roocrazy, Dec 3, 2011.

1. roocrazy

roocrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    minnesota!!!!
    anybody else do this before snow flies? I have been! It's hard to choose which ones stay and which ones go. I'm Only going to keep round 7 ducks out of my 20. I am going to Waverly, IA swap in the spring and purchase new ones and maybe a pair from holderread farm to show at the county fair. So... Any suggestions of breeds to purchase next year?
    Im thinking:
    Wood Ducks
    Calls

Thanks!

2. MNShepherdess

MNShepherdess Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    Minnesota
    Yeah, and we've had a little extra time to do it this year, we're WAY behind on snow fall. My mother and I usually do fall sorting, but this year I had wedding planning going on, so we weren't able to cut down or make it to most of the swaps. In spring we'll have a lot of youngens going to the auctions/swaps and the like. Call ducks are fun! We have like 30 of 'em, all different colors, mostly pet quality, though I would eventually like to get a SQ pair or two. Wood ducks...eh, they're pretty to look at, but not very friendly. I would LOVE to make it to Waverly this year, I've been unable to previously, though have gone to the auction in Sioux Center, and down to the swap at Jacobs Cave, MO. Hope to go to Macon, MO one of these years too [​IMG]

3. roocrazy

Jun 11, 2009
    minnesota!!!!
    Quote:Where are you Located in MN:)?

4. Terri O

Terri O Chillin' With My Peeps

I LOVE my calls! THey are very personable and actually come when called! I vote for calls! Terri O

5. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    calls are so cute. my dad is gettting 2 pairs next year. i had a pair, but i didnt have the right fenceing i guess, and they would always fly out, and then the hen would get over bred by all the drakes outside then fence........ and oh it was a mess. but we are gonna do it right this time [​IMG] good luck! what colors do you want?

6. MNShepherdess

Jun 11, 2011
    Minnesota
    Up by Duluth [​IMG] But we travel all over when we can. LOVE just jumping in the car and going.

Duckgirl - Try clipping a wing on each of the birds. That will help them not fly out of the pen. I know ours will take off on windy days and fly around the farm a few times before landing, it's quite cute. [​IMG] We have silvers, blue bibbed, black bibbed, butterscotch, blue fawn, chocolate splash, white, grey, and I'm sure I'm forgetting a color lol.

7. roocrazy

Jun 11, 2009
    minnesota!!!!
    Quote:you must like travel! i want calls, but there are on the poor end of produce. so who knows? i like silver appleyards, and silky ducks, but then again silkys are bantam. i definately am going to get some ornamentals.

8. MNShepherdess

Jun 11, 2011
    Minnesota
    Silver appleyards are gorgeous, wonderful ducks.

9. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Oh, yes indeed. We are all sorted and in the freezer. Breeding stock is what is left, although, I kept a few extra drakes that I probably shouldn't have because I couldn't decide who was the best. But, what the heck, it doesn't cost much to feed 4 extra drakes.

Calls are an excellent choice for showing, but competition is ferocious in Calls, so buy the very best quality you can afford. Quite often, Calls win best duck, but the winners are really top of the line. You must have really good Calls to compete.

As far as I know, Wood Ducks aren't shown. They are gorgeous but would be stressed beyond measure by the crowds and small cages. They needs special housing.

Bantams have the advantage that you can carry more ducks to the shows in a smaller vehicle. I need a cargo van to take my geese to shows. You could fit a couple of cages of bantam ducks into one of those little hamster size electric cars.

10. roocrazy

Jun 11, 2009
    minnesota!!!!
    Quote:thats always a plus... both bantam and large? can they be held together? or would i have another project?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by