1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Winter Storage/Housing/Flock Arrangements

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by DawnSuiter, Nov 19, 2008.

1. DawnSuiter

DawnSuiter Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a BUNCH of chickens... currently arranged as follows:

20 something odd hens in the hen house mixed ages 3.5 - 5 mos old with a Roo

4 roosters (2 for breeding 2 for backup) in a coop by themselves... also 3.5-5 mos

2 Roosters freeranging 4.5 mos old

I have 3 coops, and what I'm wondering, is should I arrange them NOW according to next springs breeding plans? So that they hang out all winter together getting to know eachother? Or should I keep the boys (minus the hen house roo) seperate from the girls until springtime & then introduce them to their ladies?

2. MsMcChick

MsMcChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2007
    Mid-Michigan
    Personally, I'd leave them for now if they have established a pecking order. If you move them in cold weather I've found that the added stress of the move, coupled with the cold, and then re-establishing a pecking order could lead to problems or even death if someone picks on someone else more. I've just never had good luck moving critters in cold weather. I usually wait until a month or 2 before I plan to start hatching and then move them, this gives plenty of time to make sure of pure parentage. But, as I've said, this is just my personal practice. Good luck whatever you decide to do!

3. DawnSuiter

DawnSuiter Chillin' With My Peeps

THANK YOU for your input.
    You make some very good points about the stress of it all.
    I only seperated them all a few weeks ago so they probably are just now settling down with these arrangements, I guess it may not be a good idea to reorganize again at this time.

Its just been sort of stewing in the back of my head and I wanted to hear some of the expert opinions, since I'm still new to chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by