Winter Storm--Help!!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ChickyChick2, Feb 14, 2015.

1. ChickyChick2

ChickyChick2 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2015
    Virginia
    The GREAT news is that I brought our pullets home tonight! The bad news is that because my husband was sick today he didn't complete their full sized coop! Aaaahhhh! Tonight they are in a temporary, smaller (tiny) one that we have. It is about a 2'x2' chicken box with an attached run. The ventilation seems bad--there are just 2 inch drilled holes at the top on 3 sides (a total of 6 holes). Being most concerned about ventilation, I still have the coop door (about 6"x6") open. The problem is that it's WINDY (30-50 mph). With the wind chill it will be well below zero tonight. I have them with the open door facing the shed, in the hopes that direct drafts will be minimal but I'm REALLY worried about them.....I'm also worried about them getting frostbite from a lack of ventilation if I close the coop door.

Should I close the tiny door and leave them with poor ventilation or leave it open and hope they don't get many direct drafts?

Thank you for your help!

2. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    All should be good. You might consider stuffing some straw to insulate without obstructing airflow.

3. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    How old are pullets and how many?

4. ChickyChick2

Feb 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Oooh, that's a good idea--I have hay (for the rabbits). They were born in September so about 5 months. I also have a tarp I could drape over but I figured that would also impede ventilation...

5. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    I would leave the door open but, maybe can you put a box or something to help block wind from blowing in? Congrats on the new birds. Chickens generate heat so, they will keep each other warm.

6. ChickyChick2

Feb 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Thank you! Oh and there are just two pullets right now...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by