1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Winter supplement

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Brightwater Bantams, Dec 8, 2011.

1. Brightwater Bantams

Brightwater Bantams New Egg

Aug 23, 2011
    Howdy, I free range my flock in my yard with little trouble until this time of year when they start to wander to my neighbor's. I'm convinced they expand their foraging territory as the available food decreases. They are on a commercial diet, supplemented with some (I suspect low quality) scratch and also household scraps. Some calcium, though I rarely give it.

Anybody really step some aspect of the feed in winter? If I can solve this through diet I'll be thrilled. Otherwise I'll have to shrink my flock and keep them penned when I'm at work.
    TIA!

2. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    What's different this time of year? Fewer bugs? Maybe it's the protein that's reduced in their diet right now.

3. serendipity22

serendipity22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    NC
  4. cubalaya

cubalaya Overrun With Chickens

Nov 19, 2008
    central virginia
    try premier layer booster. we give ours turnips and greens that are still in the garden.

5. LiLRedCV

LiLRedCV Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Land of the Rain
    Black Oil Sunflower Seeds (aka BOSS) and alfalfa hay can help considerably at this time of year.

6. ThePigeonKid

ThePigeonKid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Ohio - Chickens 3yrs
    Quote:Cool! Thanks! [​IMG]

7. fayeoli

fayeoli Out Of The Brooder

Nov 8, 2011
    East Yorks, England
    Wow that chunky chicken caviar sounds yummy stuff. I have 3 Orpingtons and 2 Polish and I give them some dried mealworm that they sell for wild birds, I just give them a handful and they go mad for it, very high in protein, they also like black sunflower seeds. You can also buy some suet mixture balls for wild birds I may try that if its suitable for the chooks for a little treat when its really cold.

8. fayeoli

fayeoli Out Of The Brooder

Nov 8, 2011
    East Yorks, England
    Sorry I just duplicated the above post and can only edit it, don't know how to delete it![​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 9, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by