Winter time and feeding?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Milford, Dec 7, 2013.

1. Milford

Milford New Egg

Dec 7, 2013
    I just joined the site. I had a flock of 20+/- RIR layers back in the 70's 80's and have forgotten a lot since. My question. I raised 6 Speckled Sussex hens this spring from chicks for my daughter. They were born first week of April and they started laying in late August. Egg production was decent until late November and then ceased entirely the first week of December. I have researched the web and found this to be fairly normal. My Question. Should I stop feeding them layer pellets until they begin to lay again. They seem to go through the scratch mix like crazy with the cold. I was wondering if I should just feed them the scratch until early spring when the eggs start again. Thank you for any help.

2. gamebirdsonly

gamebirdsonly Overrun With Chickens

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    Well first welcome[​IMG]. As far as feeding I would do a mix of the pellets and scratch.

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

I wouldn't.

Just feed the Layer. They're becoming fixated on the scratch which isn't high enough in protein to support good production and is not a balanced feed.

This time of year, in the northern hemisphere is DARK with short days. This seriously effects laying as chickens are very photo sensitive. To keep production up in the dark days of winter, most folks use a supplemental light in the coop.

4. Cknldy

Cknldy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2012
    Appalachian mtns
    My first chickens were production rhode island reds. Never added heat all winter and the girls laid almost every day. There were only a few days throughout the winter, maybe a week or two total, that I didn't get any eggs from my three girls. Always feed the layer because that is the food. Scratch is a treat to keep them warm and as said above doesn't have all the nutrients needed if they aren't free ranging. Have fun this winter as it may be quite cold:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by