Winter time care

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Lovethembuffs, Jun 25, 2016.

1. Lovethembuffs

Lovethembuffs Just Hatched

May 24, 2016
    Good Morning!!!

Even though we are just starting our summer, I am looking for information about keeping my Buff geese happy and healthy during the winter!! This past winter was long and cold. We had snow on the ground from late November until March. The past two winter were very mild comparatively. When fresh grass is not available during the winter what does everyone feed other than waterfowl feed? [​IMG]

2. I Love Layers

I Love Layers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2015
    Middle of Nowhere
    My ducks loved the winter. They would go outside and actually sleep in the snow all day!! I'm not sure about geese but i would feed them waterfowl pellets, and my ducks were supplemented with straw and oats for the grass. You could get oats, barley, or even alfalfa hay

3. Lovethembuffs

May 24, 2016
    Thank you for your reply and the information!!! Good to know!!

4. Lovethembuffs

May 24, 2016
    Thank you for your response. I have been working on improving living quarters for the winter using sand as a flooring for my chicken house where the geese stay also. I don't have separate quarters for them and it seems to be working out so far. I have seen great suggestions on this forum I am so glad I found it and to be a part of it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by