Winter time :) in minnesota

RedJungleFowl

Songster
7 Years
Apr 23, 2012
Cailfornia
Hello guys and girl's It's been awhile since I last post here,but my question is how do u keep a chicken warm in the winter time ya know like when it hit's the negative degree will or can a chicken died from it or are they already warm enough. Also Should we add heat lamp's and is it true that crack corn can warm up their bodies at night??? In Minnesota on Monday we are expected to hit the negative degree so help.
old.gif

Last edited:
I am in Minnesota, and I will not be adding heat to my coop. It's already hit -20 once or twice this year, but I do agree that the extended cold is somewhat concerning. I will put another bale of straw in the coop (my coop is an 8x16' shed, 8' tall at the peak), and make sure they have plenty of fresh water and feed. I have not given them any supplemental feed, just their regular mash. They have been getting acclimated to the cold since late fall, and I think they'll be fine. Not happy, but they'll get over it. The main thing to remember is you don't want too much humidity in your coop - that is the main cause of frostbite. Keep it ventilated.

Back
Top Bottom