Winter time setting hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cactus-hen, Dec 18, 2008.

1. cactus-hen

cactus-hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2008
    I have a hen who thinks it's her mission in life to populate the world with chickens. Wilma has gone broody for the third time this year. She was hatched in September 2007. I got her from a friend in April 2008. She hatched three chicks the first setting, went broody again when the chicks were 12 weeks old. I tried for three weeks to stop the broodiness. No luck. Due to a feed mix-up I had 35 non edible eggs. I decided to put ten under her and 25 in the incubator. On Sep, 4 and 5 she hatched nine, 16 hatched from the 'bator. I put all the chicks under her with a heat lamp near. We lost one of the 'bator chicks and the rest are doing great. It is now 14 weeks later and she is on the nest again. After the last time I don't even want to try to stop her. Can I let her hatch out a few and provide a heat lamp like before or will I risk losing the babies to the January cold?

2. jhm47

jhm47 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2008
    How cold does it get there? I have had hens raise chicks without a heat source in below 0 weather. They come out from under the hen, grab a bite to eat and get a drink of water and back under the hen. Turned out to be nice chickens in the spring.

3. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Sure yah can !!

Either let her sit on a few eggs or give her some fake ones and hatch a few for her !! Or both [​IMG] If you put a few in the bator then if anything happens to her eggs (they get to cold) you still have a few chicks coming and she wont stay broody forever !!

Then put a heat lamp above her (not to close) and let her take care of them, She will keep them warm herself the lamp will help keep her a little warmer.

Let me guess...... She's a silkie ??

Good luck !!

4. cactus-hen

cactus-hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2008
    I'm in southern Arizona. The temps can get to below freezing for a few days but generally stay in the high 30's and low 40's. I really don't want anymore chickens. I have 39 chickens. 9 will go into the freezer. That leaves me with 23 ee and mixed breed mix hens, 3 bantam hens, two bantam unknowns, one ee rooster and one silkie rooster. If the eggs don't hatch will she stay on the nest?

5. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Quote:It depends on the hen, Some will stay on the nest for weeks after if the eggs dont hatch, Some will give up after a little while. In my case they dont give up till the eggs hatch or I give them a few chicks !! Gotta love broodys they decided to do these things at the worse times [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by