winter treats for chickens? ideas

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by cheri222, Sep 28, 2010.

1. cheri222

cheri222 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Erie PA
    I need ideas for winter treat blocks. I just made crab apple jelly and blueberry jelly and want to use the cooked leftover fruit. I have boss, what about oatmeal (cooked or uncooked). Would chopped greens work or rice. I want to freeze them and cut into blocks. I need something to bind it--flour or I could grind up some crumbles.

Thanks
    Cheryl

2. Kat'sChicks

Kat'sChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Minonk, IL
    Mine love warm oatmeal when it's cold outside, as well as pancakes. I look for the markdowns in grocery stores and stock up. I also have leftover fruit pieces and parts that I freeze and mix in the oatmeal and pancakes for an extra treat, and I've been known to put yogurt on top as well. This year I've taken mushy tomatoes and frozen some of those to use this winter; I'll probably mix them in the oatmeal and pancakes too [​IMG] not my thing, but my chooks will love it I'm sure...LOL.

3. kla37

kla37 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC USA
    Mine love the bread ends from wheat bread soaked in milk and yogurt. I don't give it to them much, but they go nuts when they do get it! They also seem to love carrot peelings and grapes. Warm oatmeal with raisins in it is also a big hit. I read on here about hanging a cabbage in the run and letting them jump and peck at it, I tried it and wish I had videotaped it, it was hysterical!

4. bonder

bonder Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2010
    Did you search "Flock Blocks" on here? There was a thread a week or two ago about this. [​IMG]

5. CarolAnn

CarolAnn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2010
    Kansas
    I saw Flock Blocks today at our Orscheln farm store for $9.99. I'll probably get one once the real cold sets in and they can't get out scratch in the yard. I picked up some field corn in a field yesterday and put it in the run this morning when I let the girls out of the coop, When I let them out to run in the yard this evening it didn't look like it had been touched. Well, except that my little dog tried to make off with one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by