winter treats

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by hawkeye, Jan 10, 2010.

1. hawkeye

hawkeye Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2009
    Ann Arbor MI
    stuck inside during the cold Michigan winter i try to give my girls some green veggie tops and just lately i go to the local bread didtributor and buy out of date bread mostly whole wheat, i give them 3-4 slices twice a day, they go crazy for it even try to snatch it from my hand, they have layers pellets in free feeders they get scratch corn twice a day but the bread is the favorite.
    does anyone else feed bread if so how good is it for them i average 6 - 7 eggs from 10 chickens, they seam very happy.[​IMG]

2. cristy17

cristy17 Chillin' With My Peeps

I live in the UP and on warmer days I do let them out into their run where I give them various treats -- whole heads of lettuce or cabbage, noodles, rice, whatever. Not only do they get outside but they also get a yummy treat!

3. dwegg

dwegg Chillin' With My Peeps

yes I feed my chickens bread each day along with fresh collard greens, fresh corn on the cob, scratch and most days some ground meat. They have layer pellets constantly in the run. Yesterday I gave them a whole cabbage and they ate that up as well but today I gave them another cabbage but they didn't touch it.
    As far as how nutritious bread is for them? I don't know but I like them to have a variety of things to eat. They free ranged all day today but as everything is either dead or frozen in the yard it didn't look like much fun.

4. juliawitt

juliawitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2009
    They need a LOT more calories when it is cold. I treat them with warm oatmeal and occasionally I add in a couple of tablespoons of either cottage cheese or yougurt. I also give cabbage and apples. They love it. I also give scratch to them in the morning and I do throw it, so they have a "job" to do. In the evening, when I get home from work, I will take a couple of bread slices with me to the coop, and they just LOVE it. Try to jump to get it and just run like crazy if they get a big chunk. In the summer, no scratch and no oatmeal...........but I plant a bed of mixed greens just for them so they don't mind.
    [​IMG]

This is what happens when I sit out bowls of oatmeal... big fun and excitement.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by