1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

winter treats

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by Turkeyrun, Dec 18, 2010.

1. Turkeyrun

Turkeyrun Out Of The Brooder

Jul 30, 2009
    Hi,

Our guineas and chickens are in the same coop. They all roost tightly together during these cold snowy nights. I am going to hang up a cabbage as a treat and entertainment for the chickens. Will the guineas like it too? What are good, simple winter treats for guineas?

Thank you:frow

-Mary

2. racuda

racuda Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    North Carolina
    My Guineas wouldn't like the cabbage. They don't go for fruits and vegetables like the chickens do.

One thing my Guineas like is hanging out under the squirrel feeder. It is filled with deer corn and they nab the corn that the squirrels drop, after they eat the heart out of it.

3. tomingreeneco

tomingreeneco Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    Greene County, PA
    Mime love thawed frozen corn from the grocery store for a treat. They also like the "Scratch" feed from Tractors Supply. Just make sure they do not eat too much of this as it is not as good for them as their regular feed. And if they see my ducks eating anything they want that too! [​IMG]

4. coltssuperbowl83

coltssuperbowl83 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2010
    Kingsville
    On cold morning i make my hens some good ol' hearty oatmeal. I make a big batch then add some corn in their. They love it! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by