Winter treats

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by darkmatter, Oct 25, 2011.

1. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    Finally got a hard frost finishing off the Garden. So collected mulch and let the chickens into the garden for the winter.

[​IMG]

2. Marcymom3

Marcymom3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Well now THAT is clever!! Thanks for sharing!

3. ll

ll Chillin' With My Peeps

wow [​IMG] what are those tall tubes covered with leaves/mulch?

4. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    WOW! I see tomato cages filled and lining my yard in my near future. Nice!

5. darkmatter

Jul 10, 2009
    Quote:Those are some of my Tomato cages made out of concrete remesh. It took six bags of leaves/grass to fill them and then I used a sidewall cut out to pack them down a bit. They will compost down most of the way by spring and I will place my tomato transplants in them. My tomatos always overgrow the 6 foot cage and over produce.
    The rest of the tire I cut the sidewall out of is used in the Chicken run to grow squash 7 etc.:

[​IMG]

6. marty8587

marty8587 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2011
    Portland, Oregon
    that's great this is my first garden year w/chickens and I lernd alot, I use the driveway wire w/chicken wire around it but the tire thing looks free!! I did the DWW originally to make my dogs go around the plants.[​IMG]

7. kittycooks

kittycooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nice pictures! Very clever idea of composting the leaves in a hoop. I bet you get bumper crops! I also see a row of straw bales. Are you doing the bale gardening method as well? I understand the concept for deep roots, but does it really save water? I'm afraid all the water would leach away.

8. darkmatter

Jul 10, 2009
    Quote:Straw bales gardening-----Naw, that was an experiment this past year after reading and seeing others using the straw bale method. I always am trying something new/different each year in varieties or methods then continue with what works.
    I'm reporting that the straw bale gardening did NOT work. Started out fine, but the Midwest rain was not enough to keep the plants going. I even watered the bales frequently to no avail. So now they contribute to the mulch.
    However mulch composting in the tomato cages does work and I have been doing that for years now. I only (in the last few years) just started letting the chickens into the garden in the fall to work it over during the winter. (Smacks self in head hard) I should have been doing that decades ago. That works better then I envisioned.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by