Winter Ventilation Advice - Pic Included

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by UrbanChickensUT, Sep 19, 2012.

1. UrbanChickensUT

UrbanChickensUT Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2012
    Utah
    Hello,

Below is a picture of our coop and I wanted to get some advice on winter ventilation. I am not sure if this will be too drafty and any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. We are in Utah so we do get cold and windy winters.

[​IMG]

I added a 2" x 6" vent in the upper left hand side after this pic was taken and there is another vent at the same height on the inside of the covered run. Also, the back side has a vent just like the front of the coop as seen in the pic.

2. UrbanChickensUT

Aug 3, 2012
    Utah
    Here is another pic that is larger.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 19, 2012
  3. mickey328

mickey328 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2012
    Northern Colorado
    Lots of ventilation is good, winter and summer :) The main thing is that the wind doesn't blow directly ON the chickens. We have our ventilation up near the top, and their roosts are placed so that when they're on them, the breeze blows over their heads. If they don't have to deal with wind on 'em, they'll generate lots of heat of their own and their feathers are excellent insulation.

4. UrbanChickensUT

Aug 3, 2012
    Utah
    Thanks for that! I installed the vent up in the rectangular area so there is ventilation above them, and the wind will not hit them directly. I can then close the lower vents when the wind picks up. Would it be a good idea to drill a few 1/2" holes on each end to allow more air flow?

5. UrbanChickensUT

Aug 3, 2012
    Utah
    Does anyone else have any suggestions on where I can add additional ventilation or if it's even necessary. The roosts are at about the same level as the open vents.

6. ll

ll Chillin' With My Peeps

It looks like a good amount of ventilation as it is...
    hmm how about some ventilation in that big square swing-open side door?
    You can close it off with a piece of plexiglass when you don't need the extra air.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2012
  7. UrbanChickensUT

Aug 3, 2012
    Utah
    Thanks for that idea! I did not even think of adding a vent there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by