Winter Ventilation and Roost distance

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by kelser01, Oct 22, 2011.

1. kelser01

kelser01 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 21, 2011
    I am in the process of building a chicken coop that is 3wide x4.5 long x4.5 tall. I wanted to make sure I didn't install the vents too close to the roost. Is there a rule of thumb as far as distance between? I live in Texas so cold is not really an issue most of the time this would be primarily for when I really wanted to close things down for the 2-5 days a year its below freezing here.

Thanks!
    Kelly

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    You don't need to close things down for below freezing weather. Ventilation is to allow humidity and ammonia to escape, and as such is best at the highest point of the coop. These things need to escape in below freezing weather just as much as in the summer. It is humidity that causes frostbite in the south, not temps. You only need to ensure that ventilation does not cause a draft directly on the birds.

3. Marcymom3

Marcymom3 Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

I am interested in the experts' replies to this. The roosts in our coop are only a few inches below the vent. To me, this says that drafts will blow right down on the chickens at night. but the only other ventilation is a small window directly across from them! This is an Amish made coop. Hope someone answers as our nights are starting to get cold.

4. kelser01

Oct 21, 2011
    Quote:That is pretty much how I understand it, however with only four feet vertically I would like to make sure I do not mount the roosts too close to the vent as the air will have nothing to do but blow over the birds. So I was hoping to find that if the vent was X inches over the roost bar they should be fine kind of thing.

Thanks!
    Kelly

5. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    I wouldn't want the vent to be directly over the roosting area. That is if you have a spot vent. My coop is 8 feet long. The vent is a ridge vent the length of the coop. The roost is on one end of the coop so some venting is over the chickens heads, but still the remaining 6 foot of floor space is vent also. At night I do close two windows but the one on the south side I leave oper for air even I have soffit vents for the upper air flow. I guess a lot of different setup will work, but I can say in the mornings after my 8 poop all night, I guess the vent system I have works because any odor at all is barely noticable. It all goes on out.

6. jeepguy982001

jeepguy982001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2011
    athens, wv
    i was wondering about venting too i have a 4x6 i guess lean to type one sides 3ft high others 4ft and 2 1/2 ft off the ground anyways i have to floor registers on both sides right below the highest part of the roof. and i 2in gap the length of the coup on the front and back with mesh over it. Anyways it is getting cooler so should i cover some of the vents or leave them open. My chickens are over a yr but i only have 2 so they prob don't give off two much heat on there own. I'm prob just debating over nothing but anyways look forward to some insite from the more experenced folk.[​IMG]

7. kelser01

Oct 21, 2011
    So I added some pics of my coop work in progress to my page if that helps. I have not added the roost yet so I figured it would be better to have it near the floor if I had to in order to keep the draft off of them for the winter. Im sure they will love it in the summer [​IMG]

Thanks!
    Kelly

8. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    If you have the roost near the floor be sure it's above the nest boxes.

9. ECBW

ECBW Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    NJ
    The wind direction and speed can be a factor making vent ports become source of draft. I would suggest installing multiple vents at the highest points (gable peak) with shutters. I have 2 vents on opposite sides so the up-wind side can be closed in high wind.

The roost does not have to be up at the ceiling, just high enough to clear the tail feather and yes, higher than nests. You can go as low as 18" AFF.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by