Winter Ventilation

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by gltrap54, Nov 30, 2010.

1. gltrap54

gltrap54 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2010
    I know there's been a great deal of discussion on coop ventilation, but I need help....... My coop is built to BYC standards, well insulated,vented, etc. It' 6'H x 8'W x 6' D. I live in NE Kansas. My question: On the coldest nights (below 0) is leaving a 12" x 12" roof vent & 5" x 9" gable vent open, too much air? They'll have some heat lamp.

2. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    In my opinion, such ventilation is fine. Also in my opinion the heat source not needed if feed intake adequate. My opinion subject to change if birds juvenile or of a breed that is very small with poorly developed body feathers.

3. swimmer

swimmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2010
    Utah
    I left all my vents uncovered last week when we were down below zero, with no heat.

4. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    Too much air generally isn't a problem, unless you are trying to conserve some bird heat. With a heat lamp to keep them warm anyways a high ventilation rate isn't going to effect anything. The infrared rays of the heat lamp will warm the birds regardless of the air temperature in the coop.

5. gltrap54

gltrap54 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2010
    Thanks folks! Although I've raised chickens at different intervals in my 60 years, I still tend to second guess myself now that I have BYC with so many varying opinions. Growing up, my chickens barely had shelter and did just fine, so I don't know why I worry today.........

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by