Winter vs. Summer colors/ Feathering - Care to share?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Goat_Walker, Jan 10, 2011.

1. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    I know my ducks change colors when they molt from winter to summer or summer to winter - mostly scovies and mutts.

How drastic are your changes??

Here is Oak and her color changes.

Winter :
    [​IMG]

Changing:
    [​IMG]

Summer:
    [​IMG]

I'll try to find some pics of my former ducks . ANyone else have color changes in the flock?

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    I havent been near some of mine with a camera lately since they look so plain after loosing their colour. I will take some pics of my not so pretty older boys when I get home.

3. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Dont give me that poop...you have Beautiful ducks [​IMG]

4. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Your girlie's changes are similar to my 'Scovy's. She's also a brown. I don't have any pictures, but in the winter she's that same shade of dark brown and in the summer she becomes lighter and not all of one solid brown shade. Not quite that bright though.

5. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    This was half way through winter- taken at night in the night pen with a flash- but the colour is true in the photo.

[​IMG]

And tonight. Again taken with a flash- so there eyes dont look right- but yes..the same ducks here as some of those in the night pens.

[​IMG]

LOL..Now you see what I mean by plain... Their colour is now starting to come back- Not too sure about one of my girls. She has alot of very dark feathers coming through in her wings. She was never that dark before.

6. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    I dont have many pics on this computer of my mutts, but my buff mutts ( drakes and hens ) always changed color. The females from pure buff to a deep blue fawn and my drake from solid dark buff coloring to a wild mix of colors.

7. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:OOOH I LOVE the 1 in the top photo with the bill at the bottom...shes purdy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by