( Winter ) Water in the coop

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by junkman56, Dec 11, 2016.

1. junkman56

junkman56 Chillin' With My Peeps

This is my first winter with chickens, well first time with chickens period.
    I have my heated water container inside the coop all the time. the feed is inside also,

I would like to know if that is good or bad for the chickens, I have the container up on blocks. and plenty of 24/7 ventilation

where do you have your water container?

2. GoldenFlight

GoldenFlight Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Sep 25, 2015
    Minnesota
    Can't say for sure as I have ducks and pigeons, but that sound just fine![​IMG]

3. wamtazlady

wamtazlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Kalispell MT
    My water and food is kept outside in their run. The reason is that a waterer inside the coop will contribute even more moisture that needs to be vented out to keep the chickens warm. I also like to encourage the chickens to be outside during the winter. I have a tarp over the top of the run so there is no snow in there and 3 sides covered in clear vinyl. The chickens are outside in the run all day. I toss hay in there regularly and every other day they get a treat such as whole corn or black sunflower seeds. They stay busy scratching for their treats which helps with winter boredom.

1 person likes this.
  4. GC-Raptor

GC-Raptor Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2016
    Connecticut, U.S.A.
    I keep water in the coop, on a homemade heated base [​IMG]and feed[​IMG] with a vent open away from the roost. It was down to 17 Fahrenheit yesterday morning and down to 7 at 5am today. Water was lukewarm and very little frost on windows, could easily see through them. Combs looked good at 9am. I have a raised coop[​IMG] and no rodents or pests get inside so far, 7 months. GC

5. GoldenFlight

Sep 25, 2015
    Minnesota
    Very nice setup!!![​IMG]

6. Molpet

Molpet Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2015
    N. Illinois
    unless it is snowing a lot, I keep the water outside and change it every few hours.. too far to run extension cords

7. GC-Raptor

GC-Raptor Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2016
    Connecticut, U.S.A.
    Thank you. It took me over a month to design and build,[​IMG] evenings and weekends. GC

Last edited: Dec 11, 2016
  8. GoldenFlight

Sep 25, 2015
    Minnesota
    Wow, that's a lot of time and work, good job!

9. junkman56

junkman56 Chillin' With My Peeps

I keep the feed and water in the coop, and it has been going down in the low 20s overnight the last few week or so. and I have not noticed and condensation on the inside of the window in the coop. so knock on wood so far so good.

10. bigfoot11

bigfoot11 Just Hatched

Dec 5, 2016
    I, too, keep the water and food in the coop. Worked great for me last year so I am assuming it will work good for me this year!

Either way, great set-up! Should work as you expect it to.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by