Winter water

dawnmt70

Chirping
Dec 7, 2016
Billings, Montana
I've been looking at the 101 ways to keep water from icing over in cold weather (we will drop to -20 degrees in any given year). I was wondering if anyone has tried a reptile heating pad under their metal chicken waterer? They are designed for damp environments so the thought crossed my mind.

Haven't tried a reptile heating pad as the system I have works great. However, any source of heat under a metal waterer should help keep it thawed. I assume that the pad has a thermostat for temperature. How cold it would be before your system freezes is something you'd have to experiment with.

I use a plastic tote (some use a 5 gallon bucket), horizontal nipples, and a stock tank deicer that is rated for use in a plastic container. It got down to -22 F here and the water stayed thawed. Any colder than that and it would have started to freeze. My container is about 10 gallons which means it only needs filled once a week which is a big plus. I don't have to carry water outside in the cold daily.

Haven't tried a reptile heating pad as the system I have works great. However, any source of heat under a metal waterer should help keep it thawed. I assume that the pad has a thermostat for temperature. How cold it would be before your system freezes is something you'd have to experiment with.

I use a plastic tote (some use a 5 gallon bucket), horizontal nipples, and a stock tank deicer that is rated for use in a plastic container. It got down to -22 F here and the water stayed thawed. Any colder than that and it would have started to freeze. My container is about 10 gallons which means it only needs filled once a week which is a big plus. I don't have to carry water outside in the cold daily.

Would you mind posting pics? I'm working on winterizing these next few weeks.

Reptile heating pad is low wattage that may be insufficient. Another feature of such, ( I do have one) is the surface is not flat. The heat transfer would be not so great. Consider some other options which I have suggested in the past. Here are some Pix.
350x700px-LL-e1ddfb2d_Chickenwaterwarmer.jpeg
waterer.jpg

dog water.jpg

WISHING YOU BEST..:thumbsup

I do have a dog bowl but I have quail so not sure how to keep them dry. Not the brightest little buggers. :hmm
Here is an Idea that just came to me. Take a plastic milk jug, or plastic coffee can, and fill it half full or better. Place in middle of bowl. Then add water to bowl. You will be creating a moat type thingie. :lau.. Place whatever you have around bowl so your quail can easily reach in to drink. (bricks/boards/?????). The narrow round moat will be too small for your quail to entertain any swimming lessons. When water runs low, just scoop some out of center container.

I do have a dog bowl but I have quail so not sure how to keep them dry. Not the brightest little buggers. :hmm

I don't think a heating pad will work for you bud, not with your temps.
I have quail to worry about this winter too and our temps are about the same.
I do get -28c(-20F) temps at night sometimes but it's mostly in the low -20's.

Two weeks ago, I swapped my normal waterers over for a heated horizontal nipple waterer. Quails can't play and poop in it now.
Took them about a day to learn to use them.

I'm using a ceramic heat emitter bulb for the heat source, 5 gallon bucket (not in the quail coop), a small water pump to circulate the heated water to and from the nipples.
The bucket is in an insulated box, the cpvc pipes are also insulated. And a cheap little device called an stc 1000 to read the water temp and turn the bulb on when needed.

I don't think a heating pad will work for you bud, not with your temps.
I have quail to worry about this winter too and our temps are about the same.
I do get -28c(-20F) temps at night sometimes but it's mostly in the low -20's.

Two weeks ago, I swapped my normal waterers over for a heated horizontal nipple waterer. Quails can't play and poop in it now.
Took them about a day to learn to use them.

I'm using a ceramic heat emitter bulb for the heat source, 5 gallon bucket (not in the quail coop), a small water pump to circulate the heated water to and from the nipples.
The bucket is in an insulated box, the cpvc pipes are also insulated. And a cheap little device called an stc 1000 to read the water temp and turn the bulb on when needed.

I'm glad to know they can figure out the horizontal nipples quickly. That has been a concern.

Back
Top Bottom