winter water

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ewaugaman, Oct 4, 2012.

1. ewaugaman

ewaugaman Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2012
    I live in Washington State, and it don't get real real cold here. But I read some where that you have to keep there pond full of water even in the winter, Well there pond is a big kids swimming pool, I only have two ducks, but I keep fresh water in there for them all summer long, what is my trick for the winter time?

Thank you all Edie

2. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    My ducks don't have access to a pond in winter, but they have to have access to water deep enough to dunk their heads, so we use heated water buckets. Now if you choose to keep a pond open you need a heater, floating can be an option check out a farm supply for options.

PS; our "ponds" here are all kiddy pools too. A very common concept.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2012
  3. ewaugaman

ewaugaman Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2012
    That is a good idea, but I live in Washington State and it doesn't get cold enough here to worry about freezing there pond water, but I do have other information that I would like to add.

The Diatomaceopous Earth, if anyone one is interested in it, I buy mine at Del's feed & farm in Auburn Washington. For a 50 lbs bag I paid 21.50 and that is the cheapest I have found. But yesterday I went and got me a bag, now what I did was I dumped- I would say less then half the bag in there big barrel I keep there feed in, then I mixed it up real good, then when I went out to collect the eggs, I sprinkled some in there nesting boxes and all over there floor that is covered with straw, or chip shavings, they don't seem to mind, but I did find a hen kinda dusting her self with it, I don't think my Chickens have mites, but how do you know, so I thought by doing this in there coops, it would be a good precaution .

But I also have a cat, and two Corgi's one of my Corgi's has bowel and stomach problems, been through tests and tests and more tests, I can only give her Veterinarian dog food that actually has nothing it it but protein and all good stuff, to make a long story short, I read that you can give this to your animals as well, so I give her a teaspoon full every morning with her breakfast, she does not hesitate to eat it at all, I am keeping my fingers crossed that this might help her.
    My Bird gets some in her food as well as my cat in her food, then I sprinkle some in litter box, what a difference it makes, all though I change her littler box everyday, I don't care what anyone says, I feel it helps no urine smell at all, and to me that is a big plus.

I also have a lot of health problems, Osteoporosis, Fibermialgie (SP) arthritis , I have always had to be medicated for all this, which I still am, but the thing I have noticed the most is, I don't hurt as bad, I am not kidding, this has helped me a lot, gives me a little more energy, and not quite as sore feeling. I use it faithfully,

Just wanted to share this with everyone.
    Sorry so long, but I wanted to get it all in. I will always have Diatomaceous in my house, for me and my animals.
    Thanks for reading.
    Edie[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by