Winter Waterer Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Orit, Dec 22, 2016.

1. Orit

Orit Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2011
    Hello,
    My winter waterer, that sits on a heated base, is totally rusted. Clearly I need to get a new one as I have now read that any "derusting" products will harm the chickens (the base still works fine). Does anyone have any recommendations for a waterer that I could place on top of the heated base that is (a) easy(ier) to use/fill, (b) not too expensive, and (c) won't deteriorate/break quickly? Also, I should note that I am not handy and would not be able to construct something myself so I would like to purchase. Finally, links to any websites that might sell such a waterer would be much appreciated. Thank you!!!

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    If you want to keep using the heated base you could go with a top fill five gallon waterer. I have one I use in the warmer months and I like it, here it is.

Or if you don't mind switching to a completely different method, I use heated buckets in the winter. I have to because my waterfowl need to be able to dunk their heads, but also I find using them easier and so far they've been very durable. Here are the ones I use.

3. Orit

Orit Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2011
    Thanks, Pyxis! Can you put that plastic drinker on a heated base (which is metal)? It looks very similar to the regular drinker I have. I would think that the plastic would melt, no? Thanks so much for the links! As I only have chickens, I need something closed to minimize dirt, poop, etc.. from getting in.

4. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    It shouldn't melt unless the base is running really hot - I can put mine directly under heat lamps with no melting (did this once accidentally).

5. juanmbravo

juanmbravo Just Hatched

Apr 4, 2016
    I use drinkers and use bird bath heaters. I have 2 drinkers each with 50W heater and one with 80W heater all in plastic drinkers. They all work great to keep the water from freezing. Coldest night so far was 7F and none of them froze. Best of all when they run dry they will not melt or burn the plastic. And when the weather gets warmer the heaters have a thermostat that turns them off. I'm very happy with this setup that allows me to use plastic drinkers/buckets.

6. Orit

Orit Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2011
    Thank you, Juanmbravo! What drinkers do you use, and what bird bath heaters (I don't think I know what these are)? Do you have pictures or links to a site, perhaps? Thanks so much!

7. Orit

Orit Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2011
    I can post a photo of my heated base, if that helps.

8. GC-Raptor

GC-Raptor Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2016
    Connecticut, U.S.A.
    This is my setup a 2 gallon fount[​IMG]on a homemade heated base made from a 4 quart dutch oven[​IMG]GC

1 person likes this.
  9. mobius

mobius Chillin' With My Peeps

10. Orit

Orit Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2011
    Hmmm.... interesting. So you submerge the heater into the water? Where does the hose that plugs into electricity come out in your drinker? Also, what are you using as a drinker? I've never seen a set up like this. Is it an actual drinker, or is this something you constructed yourself? Thanks so much for sharing! I'm open to any option, as long as it won't require too much self-construction (I have never had much success with any of those types of projects), and not too expensive.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by