Alaskan

The Frosted Flake
Premium Feather Member
13 Years
Jul 26, 2008
Kenai Peninsula, Alaska
My Coop
My Coop
If you have a couple hours of sun during the winter one could use a small solar set up.

Something like this - specwise.

https://www.renogy.com/200-watt-12-volt-solar-starter-kit/

Add a cheap deep cycle marine battery for $75-100. A small inverter for $25-75. Put a timer outlet on the inverter.

It would provide enough power to periodically run whatever water heater method you want to use depending on your sun hours in the winter.
The problem is that batteries can't sit outside when it gets really cold.

And there is so little solar gain from solar panels in the winter. :hit

I know batteries are getting better.....

saysfaa

Songster
Jul 1, 2017
Upper Midwest, USA
I'm sure I can figure out something better than eating snow for water; snow isn't a very good source. A smaller inner bucket or larger outer bucket would give more room for insulation. Possibly a two chambered "inner bucket" to allow one that the chickens can reach to have warm water next to the other that the chickens can't reach with boiling water or a reusable hand warmer packets.

There is a new kind of insulation that gives twice the R value per inch of thickness. Aerogel. A very quick look shows it isn't too bad pricewise. I don't know how available it is in small quantities, though. At my scale, I probably won't look further into it.

saysfaa

Songster
Jul 1, 2017
Upper Midwest, USA
My neighbor works full time too. I may be soon, too. I hope to have it set up so she (and I) can check that nothing unexpected happened and gather the eggs on any given day. If it is uncommonly cold, she (and I) would understand and do more. There is no reason to set it up to be hard to do in the expected weather.

Alaskan

The Frosted Flake
Premium Feather Member
13 Years
Jul 26, 2008
Kenai Peninsula, Alaska
My Coop
My Coop
My neighbor works full time too. I may be soon, too. I hope to have it set up so she (and I) can check that nothing unexpected happened and gather the eggs on any given day. If it is uncommonly cold, she (and I) would understand and do more. There is no reason to set it up to be hard to do in the expected weather.
Then I would first make a glass/plastic box. So 3 walls with maybe a slanted roof, and put it in the run where it gets the most sun. Put the water pan in there.

Top Bottom