Winter watering WITHOUT electricity?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Tala, Nov 2, 2010.

1. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

I know heated waters have been talked to death, and I looooooved my heated dog bowls. Problem is that my chickens now live offsite and currently don't have electric OR water. I also work odd hours, so it's not like I can be running them fresh water 15 times a day either. (ok I exaggerate a bit about 15 times.....but you get the idea)

What do you guys do in the absensce of electric power?

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I bought some rubber black ?fortex formex whatever the brand name is- bowls.

They are supposed to be easy to dump ice out of because they are flexible. I read about them on this board. I haven't used them in winter yet though. My husband won't let me use an electric waterer.

But I will be putting fresh water out three times a day. If your chickens are far away, I don't know what to tell you.

3. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    I use the black rubber tubs in winter. When it's really cold, they are easy to turn over and stomp out the ice, then refill. I keep mine elevated in the Coop above the deep litter on concrete blocks. The Coop stays an easy 15 -20 degrees warmer then outside. I never had water or electricity run to my Coop, which has been in use over 15 years now. (See my BYC page for pics of Coop) In the morning when I let them out, I toss a little scratch out and refill the water as needed.

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Quote:Oooooooh I liked your page- especially the rainwater idea. [​IMG]

5. birdicus7

birdicus7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2010
    Coatesville, PA
    A quick cheap fix is to cut the bottom 4" of a five gallon bucket. They flex when frozen, are tapered enough that a frozen block of ice slides out when you tap it on the ground. Plus you can even get round cages with cone tops to go over them.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2010
  6. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Quote:I have very open coops due to the summers we have in Arkansas heat is far mor of a threat to the birds than cold. It rarely stays below +20F and the chickens do fine, but the coop is mostly a wind & rain block for them, not an insulated hidey hole. Unfortunately, liquid water is not as hardy as the chickens are [​IMG]

I have some 4qt fortex (or whatever) black rubber pans - they make great all-around dishes I use them constantly. Perhaps I'll get a couple more, so the dog can still have a bowl while the chickens have water [​IMG]

7. oberhaslikid

oberhaslikid Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2008
    Ohio
    I do this for my goats and you could do it for the chickens.I did not have electric run to the chicken house until last winter I carried water twice a day to all animals.
    I took a tire and stuffed the inside with straw or hay to insulate and then stacked another and stuffed it and then placed a 5 gallon bucket inside the tire hole and it kept the goats water from freezing inside the barn. The rest of the year I water in tubs outside.
    Just take one tire and place a rubber fortex feed pan that fits the tire hole and insulate the tire and see if it doesnt help.If it gets frozen you can beat the ice out with a hammer.

8. apdan

apdan Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Michigan
    Quote:Thats exactly how I water my chickens and ducks for the winter. The black rubber tubs work really good if you don't have heated bowls. I had a heated dog bowl for some of my ducks last year and this year I am not even going to get it out. Just using the black rubber dishes.

9. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Yep black Fortex dish pans for my girls. Ice blocks comes outo f them in the morning and I would put in warm water for them. They appreciated it.

10. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    I have a friend who lives in the perpetually frozen winter areas- she uses an old cooler, like the ones that hold a 6 or 12 pack? The insulated walls keep it thawed. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by