Winter Watering???

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Cookie's_Clucks, Jul 8, 2011.

1. Cookie's_Clucks

Cookie's_Clucks Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2011
    Little ol' Idaho
    I know I have quite a while to worry about this seeming how it is still only July, but I was just curious as to how all of you (who live in cold climates, like me) keep water in your coops during winter without it freezing and such????

2. pawsplus

pawsplus Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    Middle TN
  3. carrlr

carrlr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Southern Illinois
    I use a stock tank with a submersible heater. It keeps the water around 35-40 degrees. I have cinder blocks in the stock tank, just in case one of my chickens were to slip in.

4. puredelite

puredelite Chillin' With My Peeps

What works well for me is the heated dog waterer's that come from Tractor Supply Co. They are 'bout half the cost of the one's made for poultry and altho they might not hold as much water they are well worth the price.

5. pawsplus

pawsplus Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    Middle TN
    Quote:You don't have a problem w/ them getting really messy really fast? I like the poultry waterers b/c they hang at beak-level, which keeps dirt and debris out. The few times I've used bowls they were a mess w/ in a few hours! Maybe if you put the bowl on something elevated?

6. Neil Grassbaugh

Neil Grassbaugh Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2008
    How about a nipple in the bottom of a container you can put an aquarium heater in? Then have a nipple drinker on the container.
    Costs less than a a stock tank heater to buy and operate

7. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Heated water base (I keep outside so I don't have to worry about fires) and a galvanized waterer.

8. CartierChicken

CartierChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I plan to use a brew belt. I bought my husband a brewing kit, and it came with a brew belt to help keep the beer at a certain temp while it is fermenting. It fits a 25-30 little barrel, so it is perfect for my 30 liter chicken waterer.

9. AinaWGSD

AinaWGSD Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Sullivan, IL
    I have rubber bowls for winter watering. Every morning, first thing, I put hot tap water in the bowl and take it outside. When I come home for lunch, I top it off with water from the tea kettle. If I get home before dark, I top it off with more hot water, although it's usually dark when I get home and the chickens have all gone to roost. It seemed to work well enough for me last year. Granted, I only have 7 (hopefully down to 5 this winter) chickens and they live very close to my house right off the back deck due to having a small yard. If I had a lot more birds or larger property where the coop was a little further away from the house it would be a different story.

10. Cookie's_Clucks

Cookie's_Clucks Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2011
    Little ol' Idaho
    Thanks for the tips everyone!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by