Winter watering

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by MoTappin, Oct 29, 2013.

1. MoTappin

MoTappin Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2009
    Utah
    Hi all,

We have a small flock of 5 ducks, 4 khakis and 1 cayuga. We are absolutely enamored. This will be our first winter with them. Here in northern Utah, the winters can be very wet and cold. I'm not worried about housing, as they have an insulated house we close them in at night, as well as a lamp more for light than heat. We got a heated water bowl, but the question I have is about our outdoor hose & such. I don't really want to bring the messy waterer inside to fill it a couple of times a day, but I worry about leaving the hose hooked up outside (that the hose bib will freeze/burst).

Is there a setup that would allow me to keep the hose hooked up and keep using it, without having it freeze? I was wondering about trying to rig up some sort of heat lamp or something out there, but there is no plug near the faucet. Does anyone just leave it hooked up and use it? Also, do you get something to keep their pond/pool from freezing and let them swim, or just take the swimming parties away until spring? I can't imagine they will want to swim in 25 degree weather, but you never know with those silly creatures. I just filled their pool, and although it's mid to high 40s here today, they are out doing their usual "Yay!! New water!!" routine. So fun to watch them. [​IMG]

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    The hose will freeze in as little as an hour below freezing.
    If you drain the hose completely at night it won't be blocked by ice and you can turn it on when it gets above freezing. Drain it again when freezing temps approach.

3. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Yes, this above or you can get heated hoses but they are quite pricey. Honestly, i haul water lol as for pools i break ice out but i do have a large (50GAL) heated trough but i am careful with allowing to much swimming, i have had ducks ice up they were getting into the heated horses trough.

4. MoTappin

MoTappin Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2009
    Utah
    OK, thanks for the advice. We might look into a heated hose if we can find a good deal on one. Or maybe we'll just have to keep their water closer to the house so we don't have to walk so far through the snow to re-fill it. The girls are worth it, right?

5. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    You'll get a system down, i purposely keep all livestock close to my home(not only from a pred standpoint) but also access in the heavy snow and to get water too. If anything you keep in top shape while maintaining lol

Last edited: Oct 30, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by