Winter watering

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by modelo, Dec 11, 2013.

1. modelo

modelo Out Of The Brooder

Dec 4, 2013
    It's been really cold and we have heated water to prevent it turning to ice. But it is outside in chicken run. Should I move it inside coop? I'm worried they aren't leaving coop to get water.... It's a heated water feeder plugged in to extension chord

2. wowmanacat

wowmanacat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Oak Grove AR
    I would move it inside for the winter. I have two waters in my coop, one in and one out. neither of them are heated and I only worry about the inside one in the winter, since it is the easy to get to. I either carry water out to it or take it to the laundry room and fill it up. All my water outside is frozen when it is below 32. in the summer I have two waters outside.

3. modelo

Dec 4, 2013
    Any water
    Any water we put in their coop freezes to block of ice... The one we have outside with heater stays unfrozen but I don't think they are going out much to drink it. I may need to move it inside.

4. calicokat

calicokat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    azalia, indiana
    Can you get a longer extension cord and run it into the coop? That would be a good solution if you can manage it.

5. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    I usually keep the water outside the coop, close beside the hen door and use a piece of plywood or straw bale etc to block the wind/snow, they like to get out of the coop if they can anyhow, and if there is a clear area right by the door they don't seem to have any problem with coming out and drinking.

6. modelo

Dec 4, 2013
    Yea that's no problem. But is it ok to have it inside? With chord and all. I worry about electrical/fire hazard. It's a fleet mills 3 gallon heated water feeder

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by