Winter watering

TRuiz

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 27, 2014
Last year i used a dog bowl waterer it worked ok. But on the coldest days the water froze. I bought a heated plastic waterer and i hate it! It's the one you have to tip upside diwn to fill. It already got down to zero here and the water was icy with it plugged in. My question is how safe are the metal heaters? It says not to use extension cords with it, but i will have too because my coop does not have electricity. Are there any other water heaters i could use? Thanks for your help :)

I have the same question. Right now I am swapping waterers out three to four times a day. But I hate that the girls have frozen water in the morning. I usually don't get to the barn until about a half hour after sunrise and I'd like for them to be able to get a drink before I get out there.

I use the Little Giant heater base with a metal waterer. So far the coldest it's gotten is 12F and I had zero ice. I do have it plugged into a 100' extension cord with no trip problems, but it is the only thing on that circuit now.

I use a cookie tin fount heater. This will be it's 5th year of use. I used two 100' extension cords hooked up, to power it up the first winter before electric was run down to the coop, with no problem. I use a 40W bulb in it, to warm up a 2.5 gal. galvanized water fount. Compared to a near $50 chinese junk heater at T/S, which may fail after a day, or maybe a year, the cookie tin heater didn't cost me more than $5 to build. The bulb burns out, it's quickly replaced and the heater is back in business. The T/S heater craps out, it's done, all you can do is toss it, and go spend another $50. And that $50 heater will draw more juice than the 40W cookie tin heater. Easy choice to me.

in response to your original post . https://m.youtube.com/#/feed/subscriptions
after doing much research on this website I am on able to find the information I am looking for.. I will be recieving my flock of day old chicks in febuary.I plan on feeding them 100% organic I have already started raising earthworms meal worms and crickets.I also have unlimited supply of mussels oysters and seaweed along with dry corn . I just can't find a definitive answer on the portions of these things I would need to give the chickens a compleete diet.. plese help.. I know I will need to buy feed for the chicks and they will free range as long as the weather allows . .. I'm committed to raising a significant amount of mealworms earthworms and crickets as many as I need .......

Back
Top Bottom