Winter weather

Amy King

In the Brooder
Nov 15, 2018
Hi and thanks for including me. My chicks are 11 weeks old and I’m getting conflicting information about whether or not my chicks should be in the coop or not. It’s very cold here in upstate NY. It was 23 degrees last night and I was very worried about them and then someone told me they shouldn’t be out in the coop. They have been outside for 3 weeks now. My coop has been winterized as well. Are they too young? Help I’m worried as we head into December.

Hi Amy and welcome to BYC - thanks for joining us. When you have a moment, please feel free to pop onto the New Members Introductions forum and say hi.

In the meantime, this is a useful link of BYC guides to take a look at announcements-feedback-issues-guides.3 I’d suggest including your location using the guide in that link, if you have not already done so. You can use this link to contact members in your area - Find your State's thread.

Best wishes

Pork Pie

Hi Amy and :welcome

Did you put your chicks out? I agree with the other posters...they should be fine, especially since they've been outside for 3 weeks now and your coop is winterized.

They'll be totally fine. I've had chickens out scratching around my yard in temps well below zero. As long as your coop is dry, draft free, and has some high ventilation for condensation to escape they will be just fine.

They are definitely fine at 11 weeks. They huddle at nigh to keep warm. Mine have been in the coop at those temps at 5 weeks and read about people having them in the coops even younger. Once they are fully feathered they should be good to go!
And welcome to BYC. A great community full of experienced info!:frow

We’re in Rochester. My husband is from Corning. Small world. Snow has started to fall here.

Back
Top Bottom