Winter weather

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by quackiemama, Jan 15, 2019.

1. quackiemama

quackiemama Songster

Dec 26, 2018
    MARYLAND
    At what temperature is it too cold to let the ducks out in the run? This morning it was 9 degrees when I gathered eggs and let them out. I put them back up in the duck house 15 minutes later (with food and water) because they looked frosty and they were all laying down. It is now just 33 degrees and I am thinking about letting them out to play. I do have clear plastic wrapped around the run to help block the cold wind. I just want them happy and healthy.

2. Bigjibby4082

Bigjibby4082 Songster

Jan 2, 2019
    Very cold here in South Africa

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia John 3:16

Let em out but let them have access to their house so if they choose to go in they can.

4. quackiemama

quackiemama Songster

Dec 26, 2018
    MARYLAND
    Thank you Miss Lydia. At what temperature should I just keep them in the house? Nine degrees and snow seem too cold.

5. Cayuga momma

Cayuga momma We are the makers of our own history.

Mar 13, 2018
    Western NY
    As long as they have access to their coop/house you can let them spend as long as they want in their run. It's about the same temps here and mine go in and out as they please. Even on 5°F days they will free range at long as the sun is out.

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia John 3:16

They know to lay down and warm their feet and legs up. Mine make their own decisions on whether to go in or not. On really frigid days I do put mine up earlier than normal but they are ready too.

7. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Chicken tender

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Ducks are very cold hearty. Let them choose. My muscovy will still take bathe in -20 degree weather. Many wild ducks stay on the rivers here year round.

8. quackiemama

quackiemama Songster

Dec 26, 2018
    MARYLAND
    Thanks guys, I always keep their little door open so they can choose to go in or out during the day but was not too sure about just how cold they could tolerate. Understood now! 10-4. I just gave them new pool water that was tepid and boy were they happy to splash around. They have only had buckets to dip their heads in the past couple of days since I was worried it was too cold to swim. Miss Lydia you were right they do know to warm their legs and feet. I just got worried since I rarely see them laying down like that in their run. I will relax and let them be ducks with the freedom to choose!!!!!! :thumbsup

9. happy duck

happy duck Crowing

Mar 24, 2018
    Small town
    My Coop
    Ducks are very hard and can withstand very cold temps. Make sure they have a nice thick layer of straw in there house/coop so they can go in if they want to. I would also(just a suggestion) put some straw on the run ground...just so that there feet don't get tooo cold. I do it and my ducks love to run there bills around in it...it also keeps there feet warm! Also I saw you are a kinda new member so welcome!:welcome

DucksOhio, 3bird and casportpony like this.
  10. quackiemama

quackiemama Songster

Dec 26, 2018
    MARYLAND
    Thank you and yes I am new. I actually have pine and aspen shavings pretty thick in their house and also a good thick layer in the run. Also, half of the run is covered so it stays nice and dry. Mine are only 9-10 months old so I am learning the ropes.

DucksOhio, 3bird, casportpony and 2 others like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: