winter weather

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by kayab423, Dec 14, 2007.

1. kayab423

kayab423 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 22, 2007
    How cold is too cold for a chicken? We've been below freezing, low 30's and the coop is not very weather-proof. Two large windows but we did put down some wood chips and lined their laying areas. Should we cover the large windows with plastic sheeting or will they be okay in these temps? It shouldn't get too much colder than this- Santa Cruz Mtns, CA.
    Thanks!

2. bunch-a-chickens

bunch-a-chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2007
    Claiborne County Tn.
    i dont know, this are doesnt get that cold

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I'd cover the windows with plastic....it's not so much about the cold, but about drafts coming through the coop.

4. Lightfoot-35

Lightfoot-35 New Egg

Aug 28, 2007
    This is my first year with chickens(5 montsh). I live in Michigan. Temp is well below freezing at night and sometimes during the day. My chickens are doing great and actually starting to lay eggs. They are still hanging around outside the coop during most days. My coop is open on the bottom except chicken wire. Chickens are on roosting beams. Coop is mainly for sleep, nest, and weather protection. I have North and South ventilation holes. The North holes are covered and south are open. Chickens need air ventilation. If you are concerned about low temp, you can try to cover any north window (or the one with prevailing wind). Chickens will produce a lot of heat and will gather together to keep warm.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by