Winter Weather

Galaxiedriver

Songster
10 Years
Apr 25, 2009
Mid Missouri
How is everyone doing with this globull warming? We have had single digits here for going on 4 days now and it is currently 9 headed for below zero again tonight. Our coop has insulated roof and is fairly tight and I have a heat lamp by the waterer. In the mornings it is between 15 and 20 inside and the birds are doing well. No noticible decrease in egg production and no frostbite. Haven't let them outside for a couple weeks due to the cold and 6 inches of crunchy snow. Supposed to warm up in a few days thank goodness.

As soon as it warms up I will let them out and change the bedding.

Freezing to death here at 70 degrees.

But "Globull warming" is correct.... but algore still hasn't admitted that the "data" used was a bunch of lies...

OK, Mr. Arizona, that's enough bragging out of U.

It's about the same here as in Missouri. I'm going to get Miz Missouri and come out and stay with you a couple of weeks.

DonnaBelle

We are cold, cold, cold. Mine are in the chicken house locked up also and have been for about a week. They want out real bad, but tough. If they get out, they get wet feet and then they freeze to the roost at night. So they are stuck in their snug, warm ?? house. They seem to be fine in there. Eggs are still coming.

Globull warming leads to extremes, not just warm weather. My chickens were going out everyday until the last 4-5. 11 degrees in the bantam coop last night. Frozen water several times a day. Yea, it is going to warm up to 39 later in the week. I'll take this over the "extremely" wet weather we have had in the last year anyday. It is just so great this time of year that the light is increasing daily!! Can't wait until spring & chicks.

Welcome to our world! Entering a very cold period for 6 days or so, the hens are inside today and will be for close to a week to protect the barn/coop from savage wind and temp extremes. They have lots of space, though and are cold hardy. I tossed them a squash with their regular treats this morning and they went at it like wolverines...
tongue.png

Not supposed to get above freezing today
sad.png
No church, roads are still too slick. STUCK in the house!!! Chickens don't care, they're out picking in the snow. Supposed to get warmer tomorrow though waaayyy up in the 40's even
big_smile.png

Warm here got up to 6 last night
smile.png
I like it when there isn't a - in front of the temp. 5 heat lamps in the coop. I think one of my roos has a little frostbite of just a dirty comb. Odd they have heat in the coop but no heat in my bedroom in the house hehe.

I am in West Virginia, and we are very cold. I am seeing a few spots of frostbite on combs,
sad.png
not too bad. It was down to 7 degrees when I got up this morning.

We have the chickens bedded deeply in straw, a heated waterer, and the chickens themselves create a good bit of heat. I scatter around whole corn in the hay to get them to peck around hunting for them, to increase exercise. And they are really, really eating a lot, but I think they need it to keep warm.

It is supposed to get warmer later this week, actually up above freezing.

Catherine

Another mid-Missouri report here: Ashland area. Dang, but we're getting a little peckish with this long cold and snow! Our hens have access from inside our metal barn (they have an indoor pen) to their outside run and coop. About half of them still want to lay in their nest boxes in the coop and they'll brave the cold and snow to get there. The others seem content to lay in the blue egg crate filled with straw that we've set in their indoor pen. I shoveled much of the snow from around their coop and tossed some pine shavings on to give them something other than 7 inches of snow to wallow through, pitched out some scratch on that, and this encourages some of them to get out in the sunlight. BOSS and cabbage chunks pitched onto their deep litter keep them scratching and occupied inside so we've not seen much torment and feather pecking going on so far. AND....we can see 40 degree temps for the week's projected forecasts!!!!!!!!!! Oh, the anticipated joy!
smile.png
~G

Back
Top Bottom