1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Winter wheat seed question

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by Mskayladog, Mar 17, 2013.

1. Mskayladog

Mskayladog Chillin' With My Peeps

I had half a bag of winter wheat seed and fenced off part of the field and went and threw it n the ground yesterday. Do you all think it will green up the back field are just sit out there and not germinate? If it does not germante will it hurt the chickens if I open the field up in four - 6 weeks and let the chikens back there?

2. Drapery Mary

Drapery Mary Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2013
    I think it should germinate. I sprout it all winter long to feed to my flock. If not, it sure won't hurt your chickens unless it has been treated with something.

3. Mskayladog

Thanks, do you sprout directly on the ground like I did?

4. Drapery Mary

Drapery Mary Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2013
    No, I sprout it indoors. I soak it in a mason jar and then put it in the bottom of a milk jug with holes in it for drainaige so I can rinse it every day. I've got a page about it here if you want to know more.

5. Mskayladog

I already sprout wheat for the chikens.

does anyone know if you throw wheat seed in the field this time of year if it will take root? And if it doesn't will it hurt the chikens to eat it. Will it mold sitting around in the field

6. wyoDreamer

wyoDreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    It will grow and produce a nice green vegetative cover crop. But, it won't produce a viable seedhead. It produces the grain after it goes dormant for the winter.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by