Winter will be here.

Derry-NH

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 12, 2013
Just trying to plan ahead. How do most people keep fresh water available in New England states or colder regions during winter months.

Some use various heaters. I personally carry out fresh warm water twice a day and use rubber bowls and buckets.

I used to keep a 60 watt bulb near the waterer, but not too close. Usually had a thawed area they could drink from. I also took hot water to them daily unless it was very cold, then more often. Some people put those circular metal pans and install a light bulb under it and then set the waterer on top of it. I was living in West TN when i used the 60 watt bulbs. I have not gone through a winter yet here in VA, so i will see how it goes.

I'm good with electricity! I use the galvanized metal waterers on the metal heat bases, with no problems. I've tried the plastic heated waterer, a miserable gadget that is difficult to fill and then invert and carry to the coop.
I have a heated dog dish in the barn for our barn cat, and some of the birds use that too.
I work and don't have the time and energy to carry water out there three times daily, so the rubber dishes aren't a good choice for me. Also, small birds and roosters with long wattles will get in trouble in that big dish of cold water. Mary

Last edited:
Mine love to nosh on the snow banks......so even with a warm almost dripless waterer inside...they still get frostbit wattles... SMH.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/aarts-heated-waterer-with-horizontal-nipples.67256/
That's good to know. I always wondered why some of mine got frostbite on the combs and wattles but others didn't. All are housed within the same shed, drinking out of the same watterers. Size of the wattles seems to matter more, though not always.

Back
Top Bottom