1. KellyLarkin3

KellyLarkin3 In the Brooder

Oct 6, 2019
    It gets pretty windy in the winter should I put plastic up in run area during winter months?

Wee Farmer Sarah likes this.
  2. Wee Farmer Sarah

Wee Farmer Sarah Free Ranging

Where are you located and what are the average winter temperatures in your area?

trumpeting_angel likes this.
  3. CatWhisperer

CatWhisperer Crowing

Jun 16, 2013
    northwest Arkansas
    The answer is YES.

KellyLarkin3 likes this.
  4. KellyLarkin3

KellyLarkin3 In the Brooder

Oct 6, 2019
    It gets in low 20’s and they are coastal winds. I’m in South Jersey.

5. Wee Farmer Sarah

Yes, I would wrap the run with heavy plastic to block the winds. Just make sure you leave 6 to 12 inches at the top of the run to make sure you have adequate ventilation.

wamtazlady likes this.
  6. wamtazlady

wamtazlady Crowing

Jul 18, 2013
    Kalispell MT
    I always cover 3 sides of my run with clear vinyl during the winter months. That keeps the breezes off the birds so that their feather don't get ruffled. They trap heat under those feathers. I don't want them to be cold outside while they are eating and drinking.

7. Soy Milano

Soy Milano Chirping

Jun 19, 2017
  8. Wee Farmer Sarah

The polycarbonate panels can get a little pricey. It’s fine if you can afford it. However my run is 8 x 14 x 16 and 6 feet tall in most of it. I use heavy clear plastic shower curtains. I string them on rope so I can adjust on warm days.

9. Folly's place

Folly's place Crossing the Road

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Welcome!
    Add sheet vinyl, or something, to the windward sides of your run, and leave the upper foot or so at least of the leeward side or sides for good ventilation. Pictures will help here!
    Mary

10. I live in a very windy region (it doesn't snow here) and I used shade-cloth or wind-cloth to help protect the chickens. They use it in orchards, it's about the same price as heavy plastic and lasts a lot longer. It allows some wind through but not much.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: