winter with small chickens and a small coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by moedog, Sep 9, 2010.

1. moedog

moedog New Egg

Aug 10, 2007
    I am worried about winter in the Chicago suburbs. I have 3 bantams, (silkie and cochins) and a henhouse that is 4 1/2 ' x 2 1/2'. Can they be warm enough? Should I insulate and put a light in there? Ideas on insulation? Of course, they could live in the basement if necessary..........

2. Sissy

Sissy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Sevier county, Tn.
    Birds will keep eachother warm also
    add wood shavings to
    their nest box and about 3 inches high.
    on the floor.
    this also helps us to an easier clean out
    come april -May.

3. kellswan

kellswan Out Of The Brooder

Aug 31, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Hi, I'm in massachusetts and am worried about the same thing. i've been told that they will keep themselves warm in the winter and that you don't need to bring them in, but i was also told that their feet and combs can get frostbite. so i think i am gonna move mine into the shed, and shovel an area out for them when it snows , so then at least they can go outside for a bit if they want to.

4. Orchid

Orchid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    North Central MN
    If you can, I'd insulate their coop.

5. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    Insulate the coop, but ensure there is still good ventilation.
    Vaseline on the comb and wattles helps to prevent frostbite,

Sandie

6. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    I strongly recommend insulating the walls and ceiling of the coop. My hubby used rigid insulation boards rather than the stuffing kind.
    The insulation will keep the chicken's body heat inside the coop.

Also, plug any obvious draft areas. Ventilation is good, but cold air should never be allowed to blow directly on the roost area.

7. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

The plus side it, since you only have 3 tiny girls, you CAN move them in if needed. I LOVE having an insulated coop (eases my mind quite a bit in severe weather), so I would strongly suggest it (but be sure you still have ventilation available overhead). If you get much winter wind where you are, I'd try to position the coop so that it's blocked from that. If they have a small run, wrap tarps or something around most of it, so they can get outside for a bit. Depending on how tall your coop housing is, using a lamp may not be safe (because you want at least 18 inches clearance from pretty much everything). Lots of bedding to snuggle down in will help.

8. moedog

moedog New Egg

Aug 10, 2007
    Thanks for the advise. Off to home depot for insulation! I'm going to try it.

9. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Remember you do need to cover up insulation with something (plywood, etc.) or the chickens will peck it to bits.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by