Winter without electricity in Alaska

Wolfwoman

Songster
9 Years
May 5, 2010
Chickaloon, Alaska
We are moving to our cabin that does not have running water or electricity. Essentially we will be off grid for those items. The chickens and dogs are (of course) going with us.

I have ideas on what we're going to do, but any additional recommendations for the chickens are appreciated and will be taken into consideration for the coop, water, insulation, venting, outside area or anything else.

Please, before you say I shouldn't have them because I can't care for them properly, move on to another thread.

Thanks!

Wolfwoman, I was just thinkin' the same thing today, how would a chicken survive without electricity in winter, & then I remembered seeing ducks & geese, in the middle of a cold winter, in Anchorage, on a frozen lake. I am sure that chickens & ducks aren't too adapted to cold weather, but, the ducks & geese were surviving. I'm sure, sans any VERY cold temps, they should be good, barring any very cold wind chills...good luck.

They built into the ground...never gets below zero when built into the ground...there's an option, likewise, you could build up a nice lil' wind break usin' snow 'round yer hen house to keep the wind out, which is VERY important fer yer flock to stay warm. That's what I'll do with my tractor, build a snow wall wind break on the north side, as any prevailing winds that are icy cold are from the north.

I'm interested as well. While I have electricity for my coop, any strategies to make my coop resilient against a power outage or lower electrical usage is a good thing.

Hay/straw bales with packed snow would be good ! But keep in mind that if there is no heat source , you'll have to break ice for water and check for eggs quite often . Not saying you can't / won't do it....I just know that when it gets cold here in MT , I have to check twice a day when it gets below 10 degrees . Good luck , and Alaska is a truly beautiful place to live !

Quote:
welcome-byc.gif

Somewhere here on BYC is someone who built an underground coop. It's pretty good looking, and seemed to address the ventilation issues as well. That and well plastered straw bale uppers should be workable. Isn't 99% of our history without electricity and indoor plumbing? Historical research project... keep us posted!

Oh, wait. Duh. How about keep us posted from the library computers when you go to town?

Back
Top Bottom