1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

winter worms

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Hillschicks, Jan 13, 2013.

1. Hillschicks

Hillschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2012
    Its crazy we can be covered in a foot of snow for weeks at a time with temperatures not above 0-30 degrees... Then 2 freak days of 45 degrees and some rain and our chickens fine dozens of worms in the yard... That is what happened today when we let out the ladies for the day... And im not talking nice janurary weather, im talking michigan winter

2. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Silly chickens! My Ducks and chickens are always glad to get our in the morning. They go foraging around, I have no idea what they're eating, but they are finding something yummy to snack on.

~ Aspen

3. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

That happened to us, except that I found the worms in the yard and offered them to the hens, who looked at the worms and then back at me and said, "Yeah that's great but don't you have any CORN?" Auuggg chickens. My 5 week olds will just stare at the worms and freak each other out over the squigglies and then run away.

4. Hillschicks

Hillschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2012
    Ours love em lol... Our rooster and barred rock ladies were about a week old when we started giving them supervised yard time... Sometimes the worms were too big for my boy duke, but he sure enjoyed shakin em around

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by