Winter worries

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Jason1004, Sep 25, 2016.

1. Jason1004

Jason1004 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2016
    West Milton,NY
    This will be my first winter with my girls, I was just wondering if I should by a heater for the cold days of winter for my coop.
    Please advise?

2. LRH97

LRH97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2013
    Southern Illinois
    I've never heated my coops and it regularly gets down into the teens and sometimes colder with wind chills in the winter here. Everyone makes it fine every year. The thing I get concerned about is watching for frostbite on the roos and any hens with bigger combs. Also collecting the eggs early enough so they don't freeze. [​IMG]

3. Jason1004

Mar 31, 2016
    West Milton,NY
    Thats good to know, wasnt even thinking about eggs freezing. Thank you

4. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

Heaters are rarely required in chicken coops - only in very extreme climates should they be used. Otherwise, they are more likely to cause health issues than help, as the constant temperature fluctuations from moving in and out of the coop will stress the bird's systems. Chickens are really very cold resistant - just make sure the coop has plenty of ventilation and offer wide roosts so they can sit down and keep their toes warm, and they'll be fine.

5. Jason1004

Mar 31, 2016
    West Milton,NY
    Cool, so im probably being over protective.

6. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Agree with the above...summer heat puts more pressure on birds than does winter cold. They are pretty tough critters. Good luck to you!

1 person likes this.
  7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

1 person likes this.
  8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Generally chickens can tolerate cold much better than heat. Do be sure your coop has sufficient ventilation

1 person likes this.
  9. ChickenChaser9

ChickenChaser9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2016
  10. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hi there and welcome to Backyard chickens!!! I have actually been thinking about starting a winter thread just recently, what little DIY things people do to keep their water from freezing, how to keep them happy and a balanced diet even when there are no greens, keeping them warm. I thought it might be a nice thread for everybody to post on this winter. I will post the link to it once it is up and running! In the meantime! I hope you enjoy your experience here on BYC!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by