Winter worthy movable coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by sherrydeanne, Mar 4, 2009.

1. sherrydeanne

sherrydeanne Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm going to be getting 3-4 pullets in a few weeks so I want to get started on the coop but I'm completely overwhelmed. I'm in cold Massachusetts and have almost an acre.

I was wondering if I could do a smallish coop in a tractor for moving around during the summer and a separate, larger cold weather coop next to the house for during the winter. Is this hairbrained? Should I just do one tractor coop and then plastic/weatherproof it as well as possible come winter?

I have an old doghouse (nice one, with windows) that's maybe 4x4 feet. If I built it out a little and put the nesting boxes jutting out the back, could this work with a big run for the summer? If so, I could just focus on the winter coop.

I have two little kids, so I don't have a ton of time, I'd rather do it right the first time.

And, finally, are there any plans you'd recommend? My FIL is quite the carpenter, so I'm going to enlist his help but he'd like very detailed plans.

2. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Quote:That's exactly what I do. And I think it is an excellent solution, as long as you don't mind having to construct both things.

Have fun,

Pat

3. sherrydeanne

sherrydeanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Thank you Pat!

It gives me more time to read/learn all about making them as comfy as possible this winter. Off to read your page (which I've heard is fantastic).

Thanks for the reply [​IMG]

4. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

I'm planning a small (4 ' x 6') tractor for a few more birds. It will be a year-round coop. It will be completely insulated and will have a heat lamp. The only other consideration is they will be large (not bantam) breeds, with small combs and (hopefully) cold-hardy! [​IMG] I think with those precautions, no drafts and a dry, covered, run they will be okay?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by